Sunday, September 30, 2007

Go and Make Disciples

Today's sermon was on the text of Matthew 28:16-20 - The Great Commission

We're called to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything [Jesus has commanded us].

Why witness to others? Because we are commanded to do this. Jesus did not wait for his disciples to come to him. He called them. He went among the people to share what God is doing and how God wanted them to live: repent, love and worship God, love your neighbor, act justly and with mercy. We're called to share what God is doing in our own lives - not to get into anyone's face, but to be honest about ourselves.

I find this difficult to do because I don't want to be seen as looking for the setup. I want my witness to others to flow naturally, to be real, and not come across like a sales pitch. People who are honest and real have had the greatest impact on me.

My challenge now is to focus on what God is doing in my life and to tell myself this. Then I will be able to share with others. God has done, is doing, and will do wonderful things. Most certainly God is leading me to focus on following him and not to look back to what happened when our previous pastor left NEPC. God continues to reign even when his people make a mess of things.

No comments: