Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bless the Children

When I put the boys to bed tonight DW asked for "a blessing." On nights that I remember I place my hand on his head and say, "May God bless you with the ability to hear his voice." I was watching the Jewish Jewels program one day and the mother said that she prayed this over her children at night. What a blessing.

That program made me curious about the blessings that Jewish parents say over their children. On Friday nights fathers (and sometimes mothers) place hands on their sons and say, "May God make you like Ephraim and Menashe." Why Ephraim and Manasseh? The following information is from Aish.com

I hope that my two sons can live together without rivalry, look to the needs of others, and be committed to serving Christ all their lives in spite of the world. What a blessing that would be!

How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity. (Psalm 133:1)

No comments: