Sunday, September 07, 2014

Book Review: The Spirit-Filled Life by Charles F. Stanley

Once in awhile a book comes along---just at the right time--with a message that I need to hear. This is one of those books.

In The Spirit-Filled Life: Discovering the Joy of Surrendering to the Holy Spirit, Charles Stanley examines contemporary ideas about Christian living (the "Adequate Christian Life") and challenges us to go deeper into a relationship with the Holy Spirit to find peace and joy.

Chapters address who the Spirit is...and isn't.  Stanley discusses the difference between gifts of the Spirit and fruits of the Spirit (everyone has gifts; not everyone bears fruit).  He reminds us of the importance of reading and memorizing principles from Scripture (the sword of the Spirit).  He counsels us in how to recognize the ways that the Spirit speaks to us: Scripture, wisdom, conscience, and peace.

There's so much that I loved about this book, that it's difficult to fit it into a review.  What I liked best was the practicality and the way Stanley's writing ministered to me, particularly in the area of discernment and allowing the Spirit to guide me:
  • Instead of memorizing Scripture promises, learn Scripture principles: truths that can help me take thoughts captive and deal with temptation
  • How to prepare my heart to be neutral while waiting on the Spirit (instead of doing something and asking the Spirit to bless it)
  • Discerning the leading of the Spirit through looking for the markers of peace, wisdom, and Scripture, and allowing the Spirit to use my conscience.
I filled this book with post-it notes. Time to go back with a highlighter, pen and paper.  One read through was not enough.

Highly recommended.

The Spirit-Filled Life: Discover the Joy of Surrendering to the Holy Spirit
by Charles F. Stanley
Thomas Nelson, 2014

I received a review copy of this book from Book Look Bloggers (Thomas Nelson) in return for an honest review.

No comments: