New Year New Beginning
Happy New Year friends and readers! Did you begin 2011 with any New Year’s resolutions?
- Perhaps this year you’ve decided to read through the entire Bible in a year--or elected to read it through once more...
- Perhaps this year you resolved to choose a spiritual discipline, such as prayer or fasting, and make it a greater part of your life...
- Perhaps this year you’ll quiet yourself and listen for God’s particular calling for your life...
- Perhaps this is the year that you’ll visit the Holy Land or begin planning and saving for a future trip!
Whether you elected to make a list of New Year’s resolutions or treated January 1st as a day like any other, rejoice that our God is the God of new beginnings. He welcomes the sinner who repents. (Luke 15:7) He upholds the righteous. (Ps 37:17). Through Christ, we are a new creation. (2 Cor 5:17) And, as believers, we need not fear what may happen in the coming year, for through Christ we have overcome the world. (1 John 5:4)
Whatever you do in 2011, commit yourself (and your resolutions) to the Lord. Here are some verses to start the year:
- Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. (Prov. 16:3)
- In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps. (Prov. 16:9)
- Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 3:13-14)
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jer 29:11)
Thank you for following Along the Way (and The Jesus Boat Blog, if you do). Shalom and may God bless you this year.