Friday, September 21, 2007

Spiritual Disciplines

Could the week have gone any faster?

I'm trying to take these spiritual disciplines to heart. The last 2 Sunday sermons have challenged me to incorporate these practices into my every day life. It's especially challenging when I have so many other things tugging at me.

Spiritual Disciplines that enable me to "sow to the Spirit" and not to my own flesh (Gal 6:7-10):
  1. Prayer: Ask for guidance; pray for myself and others; pray every day, not just when I feel like it
  2. Meditation: Listen to God's word; rehearse God's deeds; remember his works; put myself in a spot where I hear God's voice
  3. Study: A process more analytical than devotional; challenge and change the way I think
I need to spend more time doing all of these, but I especially love the idea of rehearsing God's deeds. We're called on to remember his mighty acts. Several Psalms outline God's actions saving Israel from slavery. I know that I don't do this enough.

No comments: